Saturday, April 18, 2009

Good Saturday afternoon everyone! I had to work today (sad face) and teach a class called CPI to some of our contract workers who work for our mental health facility. It is a class on how to verbally de-escalate a situation and then how to handle if it becomes violent. ANYWHOOO, the people in the class were horrid, rude, crass...it was painful and I am thankful I am home.




I made a yummy soup today for dinner. I got the recipe for SouthernLiving. If you like black beans this is for you...if you don't like black beans (close your eyes). You will see the recipe calls for it to be creamy, and that's what the picture shows. However, I didnt blend it and just ate it in the pre-puree state. Its so good! I think I will add chicken to it next time I make it. Yum Yum.





Prep 10 min., Cook: 15 min., Cool: 5 min. Spread warmed leftover soup over crispy tostadas and layer with chopped rotisserie chicken, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and avocado for a quick supper or snack. For a thinner soup, use only 2 cans of black beans.


Ingredients
1 cup medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
3 (15-oz.) cans BUSH'S Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chiles, undrained (this is rotel)
1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (I didnt add this)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (I didnt add this)
1 tablespoon lime juice
Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips


Preparation
1. Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice. Let cool 5 minutes.
3. Process soup, in batches, in a blender or food processor 30 seconds or until smooth. Return to Dutch oven, and stir until blended. Serve with desired toppings.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry you had to work this weekend with such jerks!

    I absolutely LOVE black beans. I will have to try this. Thanks for the recipe. I will let you know if I change anything. I may actually cook the black beans myself instead of using the canned ones.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete