Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Body Fat

On my last post, Onyah asked me if I watched Biggest Loser last night. And yes, never mind the fact that I constantly say I hate that show...I still watch. I can't help it. We DVR it and it's kinda addictive. And for the first time in a long time, there are actually some women on there that are funny and very likeable.

Anyways, last night when the doctor, that I of course do not like and who does not support weight loss and often has nasty little comments about it (has this become a run on sentence yet), well, the doctor was telling the contestants their "real age" and their body fat. And one female contestant had a body fat of 54%. The doctor said that, and I am paraphrasing here, that basically, because she has such an abnormal amount of body fat, that she will have to work out (and this is actually what he said) "90 minutes a day, 6 days a week, for the rest of your life."

If someone told me that to lose weight and maintain it, I would have to do that...

I would say...mmmmkkkay. I QUIT. NO. I mean, that's not even a realistic expectation and I didnt really understand where he was coming from. Because she could certainly change her body fat percentage...whatever. I didn't get it. Neither did Heather.

So I called my doctors office today and wanted to find out what my last reading for body fat percentage on the big person scale in the office was.

In July, the last time I had a fill, it was 32.5.
This last fill, two weeks ago, it was 30.5.

Which considering I havent lost much actual weight since July, that's cool.
Wanna know what my starting total body fat percentage was? 54.2 percent. Basically just like that girl.

I don't know what that means. I wanna tell her there is hope.

Lord, maybe I need to go sob into Heather's lap again.

NO. Just kidding. I am feeling good.

Ooooh. One last thing. Guess what I did today? I gave myself my own B-12 shot. Like a big girl. Right in the belly fat. And it didn't even hurt.

18 comments:

  1. I thought that exercise quote was a bit extreme! Interesting how the twins gained the same amount of weight too. I checked my B 12 levels at the doctor's office and they were at 1400! That is very high and in a good way. I decided not to get the shots. Besides, I could never give myself a shot anyway. Good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I'm a bit of a troller...I've read your blog for a while but have only commented once, if that....but I had to comment on this one because when I was watching BL last night and heard the doctor say that and then ask the girl if she was ready to take on that workout regimen and she said yes, I wanted to scream "BULLSHIT!" at the screen. I'm on my own weight loss journey and though I know I have to work out a good bit to lose the kind of weight I need/want to lose, if someone told me I'd have to do 90 min. 6 days a week for life, I'd fail. It's just not realistic! UGH! Why does TV have to make everything so dramatic/over-the-top??
    P.S. You don't know this because I never comment, but I love you! Youre amazing and I love your blog. It gives me hope and most of the time a good laugh, which I love!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to comment on your B-12 shot. I am proud of you!!!

    Most people don't know what it is like to inject anything in their bellies. I have had to do insulin for the last 2 years (but I get to wean off!) I used to do 2 a day but then was able to reduce to just one in the morning.

    I will say that it is easier in the belly then poking your fingers to test your sugars... but anyway, you should be proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ARG! I know you know I hate that effing show! Arg!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you SHOULD tell that girl there is hope. Find her through the NBC site or something and send her an email. I think she should hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That made me mad last night too. and it did seem a little odd that the twins gained the same amount. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that too - I hate BL, but I get sucked in. It made me wonder what my body fat percentage was when I weighed 293 pounds - probably pretty close to that girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I'd have heard that, I'd feel hopeless. I'm glad I didn't and instead read it here and realized how ridiculous that is! Why would the broadcast such a thing while their intent is to inspire people?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I greatly despise the biggest loser!!! lol Bunch of WLS hatin fools! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought that the B-12 couldn't get through the subcutaneous fat and that was why the nurses gave the shots in the butt, so that the vitamin would go into the muscle and faster into the system.

    Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH!! I hated that comment too, and the "I didn't even know it was possible...to be more fat than anything else..." Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That doctor is a showbiz doctor. You'd probably get better advice from Neil Patrick Harris. Plus also too does no one love him? Doesn't he have a wife or someone to tell him that hair cut is awful?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rememeber that comment that Dr drives me nuts..glad you are better today miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are feeling better today :o) I would probably punch the doc if he said something like that to me. Dash the hopes why doesn't he!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I've nominated you for a "Stylish Blogger Award!" Go check it out on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! New here.. stumbled across your blog yesterday and I have to say that I love it and it is by far one of my favorites! I love your post and how honest you are. Congratulations on how far you have come you look absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah I heard him tell her that too and I thought that was a drastic response. That seems impossible.

    Congrats in your drop in body fat. That's awesome. I used to give myself B12 shots in the ass. It was scary the first time but after that it was easy!

    I gave you an award. check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weeeeeeeeel, I guess I should throw in the towel now! ;)

    ReplyDelete