Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Last night, in an effort to make something a little different...I embarked on a mission to create a Stuffed Spaghetti Squash.

This wasn't my first squash rodeo, as I have made just plain old boring spaghetti squash several times over the years.  But I wanted to sass it up.  I typically liken spaghetti squash as the boring main meal of places like Atkinsville and Healthtown, USA.
Oops.  I forgot to take a picture BEFORE we dug in.

So this is what I did.

I purchased a smallish size spaghetti squash.

Then, in my trusty non-stick skillet, I sauteed the following:

Baby carrots that I had sliced into nickel size pieces.  I probably used around 20 baby carrots.
Half a sweet onion, diced.
EVOO
Salt and Pepper
About a quarter of chopped fresh cabbage.
2-3 cups of steamed, then chopped, broccoli

I sauteed the above ingredients for about 7 minutes...until the carrots start to get a little tender.

Then, I toss in a heaping mound of diced garlic (I use jar garlic so it's not as strong as fresh)
Some red pepper flakes
Some Italian seasoning.

Who knows the measurements people.  I just "feel" my spices and herbs,

It's all in the wrist.

So I turn that to low and continue sauteing.

During that time, I had prepped the spaghetti squash.  There are various ways to get your spaghetti squash..."spaghetti-ee".  I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds, but the two halves facing up in a microwave safe glass dish (this one was a 9  x 9), put some water in the dish (about half way full), and cover in plastic wrap.  Then you just pop that bad boy in the microwave for about 11 minutes.

Also during this time (have I mentioned how talented I am at multi-tasking?), I steamed some broccoli and then chopped it up.

After the squash is done, I put on my oven mitt (seriously...those things are as hot as sun-nuggets), stand one half of the squash on end, and then scrape with a fork into the dish.  Repeat with other half.

Then, the magic happens.

I toss the squash, the broccoli, and the veggies I have sauteed, into a bow and mix.

You then use the now empty squash halves as your baking vessel (I put mine on a baking sheet covered in foil).  I filled each half, half way up with the mixture.  Sprinkle on some FETA.  FETA...yummmm.  Then, I poured red sauce (just good old plain pasta sauce) on one, and homemade Alfredo sauce on the other (I will tell you how to make that in a second).  Then, I load up the rest of the mixture on top, top with a little more sauce, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on those babies and pop in the oven at 350...just to really melt the cheese and make all the ingredients happy and complete.

Let me tell you...that junk was gooooood.  GOOOOOD.

The red sauce one was very light in calories.  The Alfredo sauce was perhaps a little "heavier" on the calories, but holy mother of all things made with butter and heavy cream...it was divine.

So this is how I make my Alfredo sauce.  If you are ever feeling like being naughty, make this and use fresh pasta...Lord....amen.

1/4 Butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove crushed or minced garlic
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (do not use pre-shredded.  Don't do it.)
Italian seasoning
salt & Pepper (I like a lot of pepper)
Red Pepper flakes (totally optional)

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Serve. 

 Or just drink it out of a cup. Seriously.  It's that good.

So there you go.  Basically you could just throw WHATEVER you wanted into the squash.

Go in peace. Eat my friends.

Now I am starving.

4 comments:

  1. Wow -that sounds really good. I like that you used real cream, so often people are afraid to use a little butter and real cream but it really just makes all the difference. I'm going to try spaghetti squash - and I'd never have thought of feta cheese on something Italian, but I'm going to try it! I'll report back later....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed this out. Sounds awesome! I can put feta on anything and be happy.

    ReplyDelete