Thursday, February 24, 2011

When You Live in the Land in STUCK

Kristin had a post today that inspired my brain. So I thought I would continue the process here.

So many of us find ourselves stuck on our weight loss journey somewhere down the line. For me, the long term "stuckness" didnt happen until after I had reached my initial goal. I am living in the land of stuck as we speak.

It's a frustrating place to be when you feel like you are doing the right things right but you are not seeing results from the number on the scale, or the numbers on the tags of your clothes. And so here is what I recommended to Kristin, to you, and to myself.

It's hard to offer advice when someone needs help because we are all so different in what works for us. Some of you who are losing eat 1000 calories a day. Some of you can lose with 1400 calories. There were times when I was losing that I didnt work out at all. For some, that won't be an option. Some focus on carbs, sugar, water, protein.

You just have to find what works.

And if what you are doing isn't working....

You have to change something.

Eat more. Eat less. Journal. Workout more. Workout harder. Workout different. Eat different foods. Blog. Set goals.

Be HONEST with yourself.

I don't like being honest with myself sometimes. I like to float on fairytale clouds. I like to be able to say "I don't know why that damn scale doesn't move"...

But sometimes I do know.

I have been journaling my calories in and calories out now for almost 3 weeks. And at the end of the day, I know what I ate. And sometimes...like yesterday when I had to write down the ice cream with melted peanut butter that I ate...I see 1600 calories in (670 out through cardio and circuit)...and I know that 1600 calories may be fine if I want to maintain...

But it's not good enough if I want to lose.

I have upped my cardio. Yes. I work out like a beast with weights...but if I am trying to lose on the scale for this competition at work...beasting it up is not going to help. I had to add more cardio. And I did. I was doing at least 30 minutes straight cardio 2 times a week.

It wasn't enough.

So I've added more and cut back on the heavy lifting (just a little).

And slowly...the scale is moving. SLOWLY.

And I know I could do more. For example, I could have chose NOT to consume 600 calories in Mr. Ice Cream.

But I did.

So be honest with yourself. Switch up the game. Try something new. Take it day by day. Push yourself a little. Commit to 2 weeks of hardcore, clean, conviction. See if it makes a difference.

I'm trying it.

And we are, after all, fighting the good fight.

Happy Thursday

10 comments:

  1. Yep, you're right. Changing it up will make a difference, and I need to figure out what to change up and get moving. Thanks for the great comment.

    I know you hear this a lot, but you are a delightful writer. You have a way of putting your personality on the page, and a lot of people just can't do that. It's always a big adventure (in a good way) to see what Amy has to say, and I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message. We all just have to believe and keep on truckin'. It's all we can do. I am so impressed about the amount that you work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, after all of this time, STILL inspire me.
    Love you.
    I'm goin to go RIGHT NOW and buy a freakin journal and I'm going to start exercising again. YAY!
    TOODLES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I need to figure something out. I just don't think low-carbing is possible for me anymore. Is there some kind of medical test that can be done to see if you are allergic to carbs? As in if you eat them your ass, stomach, and thighs increase in size overnight?

    I wish I knew if that was my case or if I just have a mixture of one fad diet after another stuck in my head. I feel like the whole LOW CARB thing has been drilled into me. Some people lose eating carbs and some don't. I don't know where I fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jen on you being an constant inspiration. All I have left to say is Amen and Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, be honest with yourself.....what a concept. I guess I will try to give that a go! I'm good at making excuses for my extra calories, but I guess if I'm going to be honest with myself then I have to quit with the excuses! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I have been sufficiently chastised. I keep thinking why am I eating between meals now when at first I didn't. They tell you three small meals a day. So I have got to get back to those three small meals and no in between meal snacks. Thanks for the wake up call.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuck sure does suck. And it's soo much harder when you get closer to goal. It's poopy woopy...and that about sums it up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this because right now I am STUCK. I'm down about 80 lbs and have hit this "contentment" period that I'm trying to drop kick right in the ass. I needed the reality check. :)

    ReplyDelete