Thursday, March 25, 2010

Don't Squash It Until You Try It

So the other day Zara posted about her spaghetti squash and it got me thinking.

Dangerous I know.

I have never even tried squash in my life, but after seeing this dish in several magazines, and hearing Zara's description and subsequent endorsement by her daughter, WHO just happens to enjoy the occasional Sunkist as well...I decided to give it a try.

Please check out her blog for the wonderful directions...bc I will just be giving you Amy's Version.

We picked the squash up at Walmart. It actually had a sticker on it that said Spaghetti Squash.

Well that was helpful.

It ran us just under $5.

You cut the the end off with the stem, then slice the squash in half--length wise.
Next you scoop out the stringy guts and seeds. Think pumpkin here.
I put both pieces, cut side up, on a microwave safe dish with about 1/4 cup of water in the dish, covered with plastic wrap and microwaved them for 10 minutes.

During this time I made my spaghetti sauce. Sauce, ground turkey, seasoning and feta. YUM.

I took the squash out of the microwave and started the shredding. You just take your fork and start raking out the insides. What comes out is little strings of squash which resemble spaghetti! I plated, put the sauce on top, and served with a side of green beans!

Yummy.

I have to say that squash doesnt have much of a taste, and it is a little firmer than regular noodles. But what a fantastic way to get veggies in, fiber, protein, low in carbs and low in calories!

I will definitely be making it again.

Thanks Zara!

29 comments:

  1. Spaghetti squash is great! I used to have a Richard Simmons recipe that was so good too, but damn if I can remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I can't wait until I can eat again - I saw this on Iron Chef a little while ago and I want to try it. Now I'm completely sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so making that when I can have food again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I do not normally like squash of any kind, but Walt makes it like this and it is an acceptable substitute for spaghetti noodles!! I will eat this and I am a picky eater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you can't have the starches and you want to avoid the calories (only 25 calories per half cup with this - awesome!), it's killer. And remember, if there's a local farmer's market around where you are, you can sometimes get the all organic stuff which is a little bit cheaper, believe it or not.

    Glad you liked it! It's the versatile veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha.... my last verification word was "Fangs"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip! I've always been hesitant to try spaghetti squash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. Spaghetti squash always tastes to me a bit like zucchini. Big bland, no big deal on the taste stakes.. but this is a handy recipe. Ta xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Zara's post about this a while ago and it really does sound delicious. I'm going to have to put it on my list of meals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you ate it just so you could write that blog post title. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for passing on another good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love squash of all kinds and love spaghetti squash. I make mine with garlic, butter and herbs too, very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! We grow it... it is great with shrimp and garlic too

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will have to try this, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore sketti squash! Plain, with just a touch of butter and parm is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a friend of mine loves spaghetti squash but i have been wary on giving it a try. it just sounds so weird. maybe i will give it a go...hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you liked it! It's one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love spagetti squash! Its a great quick meal and I try and pretend its spagetti :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ive always wanted to try this, I think I will! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a big fan of spaghetti squash. I like it "fettuccine alfredo" style:

    1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
    1 tsp. light butter
    1 wedge Laughing Cow Light garlic herb cheese
    Sprinkle of garlic salt
    Sprinkle of parmesan

    Mix together and microwave or broil for a minute to get the cheese all gooey and melty. Absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grow spaghetti squash in my garden. It is kind of like zuccini where one plant gives you more squash than you could ever eat. The plants get really big, but it is very easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So if this was the first squash you've ever had, you now need to expand your horizons.

    Butternut squash - love in in Risotto, mmmm.

    Acorn squash - great with a grilled porkchop. Sprinkle the squash halves with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon and pat of butter. Bake it. Delish!

    Calabacitas - don't get too worried about pronouncing the name. Take a zucchini squash or two, a yellow summer squash or two, wash them and chop them, leaving skin on. In saute pan, melt a bit of butter, add squash, diced onion, frozen kernel corn, a small jar of diced pimentos, drained. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until squash is nice and soft. Serve with your favorite fajitas.

    Like a previous poster mentioned, go to your local farmer's market and get recommendations. Squash is a favorite during summer for my hubby and me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never tried squash before but this souds yummy I will have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wonder what spaghetti squash is here in Oz...will check it out

    ReplyDelete
  25. I recommend also google-ing for spaghetti squash soup recipes.... I had some SS soup a few weeks ago at our work cafeteria and it was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I left you two awards on my blog pookie wookie.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just awarded you on my blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Where oh where did our lovely Ames go??

    ReplyDelete