Monday, July 25, 2011

A Pain In My Neck: My Body Is Disintegrating

On July 3rd I hurt my knee.  I was working out, doing mostly lower body that day, and stepped down from the bench and *sharp pain*.

That weekend at the boat, I woke up with a crick in my neck.  Several times a year my neck freezes up for a few days.  I have to turn my body like robot to see from side to side.  It sucks.  But it passes.

Well, 3 weeks later...the neck pain is only worse. 

Let's discuss in a little more detail.

First, back to the knee.  The knee pain I am sure results from me acting like I don't have the knees of a former 327 pound woman.  When I do lower body workouts I hop, jump, lunge, squat...and I have apparently pissed off the knee joint.  SO FINE.  I will go lighter on lower body and just focus on upper for awhile.  This is not good news for "Operation Booty Pop".  As you may recall, I was targeting my assticles so they would pop out more.

Well, then the neck pain started and spread to my left shoulder.  Neck pain is muscular (I am a doctor and know these things), and the shoulder pain is joint related.  The shoulder pain is also pretty intense, but at least it only hurts when I lift my arms.  SO, last week it was so bad I was in tears.  And then Heather says this to me:

"Babe, you may need to take a COUPLE of weeks off from working out so your body can get better".

And I preceded to cry for the entire ride to work. 

Stop working out?  What if my muscles disappear?  What if I actually have to watch what I eat? 

Because when you can't work out your lower body AND then you cant do any lifting that doesnt require your shoulders...well folks...there ain't much you can do!

And that makes me very sad.

But my neck pain is really intense and constant.  I mean...CONSTANT.  I was trying to pull chicken off the bone last night prepping it for soup, and my neck was spasming.  I can't look down in the shower.  I can't roll over at night with out sucking in my breath and giving myself a pep talk.

I hate it. 

My primary care doctor left, so I called a new doctor today.  They can't get me in until Wednesday.  After I got off the phone I cried again.  I don't know if a muscle relaxer will help, but I will tell you that nothing is touching the pain so far.  The wonderful Jennifer from Dr. Friedman's office called in 800mg of ibuprofen for me and even hand delivered a cream to my door.  It doesn't make a bit of difference.  I have tried heating pads, beer, wine, cookies.  Nothing is helping.

I don't know how people live with chronic pain. 

So happy Monday.  

Damn it.

16 comments:

  1. Dang! I hate that you are in so much pain. Hopefully the meds will help at least enough that you can function. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My orthodepic doctor told me to not use heat for knee or neck pain, but to use ice packs. It is not as relaxing but it helps for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had chronic shoulder pain for years and finally got it checked out. I'm not in PT for the next 6 weeks, and am already feeling a difference. I know your pain (literally!!!) I know it sucks right now, but please keep pursuing the doc...it will get better.

    Oh, and assticles??? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a neck pain that lasted for several weeks once. I went to the Dr and they put me on muscle relaxers. I tried doing the muscle relaxers and didn't like the way they made me so tired. After a few days I stopped taking them because "I felt better" even though the Dr had told me to take them for two weeks. Well the next day it hurt again. I went back on them and delt with the groggy for the week. After that I stopped taking them and my neck was all better. I stopped taking the pills, but I still restricted my activity and was very careful with my neck. So IMHO, from my experience, I say take the muscle relaxer for a week and give that muscle time to relax and heal. Then take it easy for a while and you should be all better. That pain sucks. I cried too. So frustraiting to be in pain for an extended amount of time. It is very depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chiropractor, angel. They are life saving! My mother also swears by acupuncture. Feel better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you're in pain. I have chronic neck issues and I know it's awful. You didn't mention if you tried ice. If it's inflamed, the ice should help it feel better...and keep the heating pads away. Maybe worth a try. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww. I hope its nothing serious. I tend to get muscle spasm in that muscle between the neck/shoulder from time to time...now that I'm in the 30's. Eww. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to take a month off from running because my heels were hurting so bad (plantar fasciitis, oooh yeah). It just so happens that today was my first day running again, with the help of a new fancy-schmancy pair of insoles. For what it's worth, my muscles did not disappear. I lost a little speed, but now I have a new goal to work toward -- getting back to where I was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does not sound fun. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go to the Chiropractor....immediately! Honestely, they work miracles, in my opinion.. Best of all, no drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually am considered a pain in the neck but I am not even in your state anymore, so could I really be causing that much of a pain in the neck. But I love you and hope you feel better soon. *M*

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so sorry your body is disdagreeing with you. I hope the muscles and joints heal quickly and you're on the road the recovery without skipping a beat. Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know everyone says chiropractor, but I have chronic neck pain because of the way I sit at my computer, and I don't go to one, I go to a massage therapist. I mean, who doesn't want to get rubbed down 4 times a year?!

    Really, my muscles end up knotting up so bad that I get headaches. so get a massage, it might help too.

    Sorry you feel so poopy! it can't last forever, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. :( sadface. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neck pain is really annoying! You can neither work nor move with ease. Anyway, aside from taking medication, why don’t you give chiropractic care a try?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww! That's a very sad thing to hear. I would love to believe things are well and fine now at this point. Though with best types of therapy, I know they will be, so I'm at ease. Do take care always!

    Jacqueline Hodges @ Back and Neck Center of Brick

    ReplyDelete