Monday, June 27, 2011

psssst. come here....

I want to tell you something.

I have decided...that for the month of July...

I am not going to weigh myself.

Nope.  I am not.  This thought has been jostling around in my skullbucket for a couple of weeks.  I didn't know if I wanted to commit or not.  I didnt know if it was a good thing or a bad thing.  I didn't know if fairies existed.  Now...thanks to True Blood...I do.

Regardless...

Let us role play in Amy's brain. 

and...scene.

Stage left:  Lights come up on Amy.  It's early morning.  Freshly pee'd, hair dry, and body naked...Amy steps on scale.

Scale reads 169.4.  Amy feels skinny and on the verge of supermodeldom. Lights dim.

Stage right: Lights come up on Amy.  She steps on scale.  Again, freshly pottied, dry as a bone, and nude.

Scale reads 173.4.

Amy feels like fat cow.  Maybe she should visit Jenny's doctor to confirm cow-ness...right before she punches him with her bulbous bicep powered arm.

End Scene

What I am saying is that where I am right now where I AM, I think I need a break from the scale.  It fluctuates a little, and those fluctuations sometimes play a part in my mental place...regardless of whether or not I have gained an inch...I can feel fatter.

You know what I am talking about.

So, starting July 1st...I will weigh for the month and be done.  My intention, for the month of July is to try and eat cleaner and make better choices and just live my life.

It's kinda funny this fear that makes my heart race.  For the last 2.5 years, I have weighed and focused on the numbers. 

But here is what I know:

I know what I need to eat.  I know how my body reacts when I make the right choices. I know that me weighing in at 170 or 160-whatever, that a few pounds up or down on the scale, doesn't show on my body.  I know that my 170 looks different than other 170.  I know that I am healthy.  I know that the BMI chart is a pile of dragon shit.  I know that if I start taking whey protein and creatine to grow my muscles, that is probably going to grow the number on the scale.

SO.  There.  I said it to you.  And now I have to do it.

Happy Monday!

15 comments:

  1. You are braver than I (me?)....i hate grammer.

    Can't wait to hear how this goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless you! If you can do it...nah, I still don't think I can. I'm older than you and I've been doing it so much longer! But, man, good for you Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a fab idea, particularly for a bandster at goal like you. Now let's just see if you can stick to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Just reading about not weighing made me break out in hives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gonna be hard but I think you can do it. You might want to move your scale out of easy view/use. Maybe a storage shed...LOL. I know you're going do well, You are a trend setter. I was thinking about not weighing for a while too since the 15 times a day thing is ackward at best. My weight fluxuates alot too and it is causing me to beat myself up for bad choices and not exercising enough... which seems like it should inspire me to do better but instead it seems to cause more stress eating etc. The weight is not the main goal... better health is, and the weight is the means to the end. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good plan! Why let a silly thing like a number send you into a shame spiral...it's probably toilet weight anyway ;) You are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it!!! I haven't stepped on a scale in over a week, I'm now only weighing myself at my doctor's appointments because the scale was seriously messing with my mind. I actually get more nervous to weigh in now than I do missing the scale every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Drazil...it scares me just to read that someone else is not doing it! But I think that if anyone can do without (and do well without), it would be you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been putting this in practice at weekly intervals this year (I used to weigh daily and talked my nonsense down to once a week, but even that can be blow to my eager ego).

    If you do it, I'll do it. :) Because I'm a sycophantic copycat like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear what you're saying-- but I can't give up the scale because I can totally fool myself and fall quickly into denial otherwise. Good luck with this decision and I really hope it works out great and that you feel really good about yourself every day in July!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a brave woman...I think (actually, I know) that I am addicted to the scale and luckily whatever the number is doesn't affect my mindset. Good luck to you...I can't wait to see how the month goes without that added pressure!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're my hero! I tried only weighing once a week and that failed miserably. I know you can do it though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with this! I weigh once a week and the fluctuations don't mess with me too much. Right now, I need the scale to keep me accountable. I hope when I reach maintenance, I'll be able to give it up (For at least a month) like you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not as hard as it seems. I used to be obsessed with weighing but I haven't weighed in a few weeks with no problem (mostly due to guilt and terror to see where the number falls! eek!!!)

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW...you're stronger than I...the scale is my touchstone and I need to be accountable to it on a daily basis. Wishing you luck this journey.

    ReplyDelete