Friday, June 17, 2011

Eating Clean

So I have been mulling over this crazy idea of "eating clean".  Have you been reading up on it?  Have you formed an opinion yet?

Here's one definition from Livestrong:

Clean eating is a diet program based on the idea that the best way to eat is to abundantly enjoy whole foods -- that is, foods as close to their natural state and you can get them. This means eating fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins instead of pre-packaged, processed foods or fast food. Clean eating is also committed to replacing saturated fats with healthy fats. Many on the plan don't count calories, but instead trust in good quality, healthy food.

Do you eat clean?  I will say that a lot of the meals and dinners I make are pretty clean.  I use lots of fresh veggies (bell peppers & onions are our favorite).  We eat broccoli.  Our grains, pastas, etc, are usually always whole wheat.  If I do anything packaged, it is something like quiona or whole wheat pasta.

But during the DAY?  Shooooot.  That's another story.  I bring canned soup, Atkin bars, cheese, etc.  When I drink soda, eat chips, candy, etc...that ain't so clean.

So I think I would like to start making an effort to eat cleaner.  Nothing CRAZY and wild, but just starting. 

The thing is people... (Bridget the new nutritionist in Dr. Friedman's office...this would be a good time for you to go get a glass of water)...

I don't like a lot of "clean" veggies.  Raw carrots...YUCK.  Snap peas, asparagus, cute little cherry tomatoes (if I dip them in ranch I can eat 'maters...but I don't think ranch is very clean).  I love me some canned green beans, canned peas, corn on the cob.  I actually brought some celery today bc I AM TRYING to like it.  Of course, I must dip said celery in peanut butter...

but peanut butter has protein!

And fruits...well, some fruits are hard to eat with the band.  You can't just crunch into an apple without thought, banana's give me problems sometimes, I have been known to pukie up some grabs (skins are tough).  SO it's HARD TO EAT CLEAN.

And yes.  I am fully aware I am just making up excuses. 

So...FINE!  I am going to give it a try...

um...maybe starting tomorrow.

Wanna play?

12 comments:

  1. You should read Tosca Reno's book or go to her website...she's all about eating clean and looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I'll leave this experiment to you; I'm ok with the fruit, but raw veggies? No thank you. There was a reason man invented fire, and that was to boil and roast the heck out of vegetable matter and and make it more palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to hearing the results of this experiment. It sounds great. Also, for the raw veggies you don't like, make a dip with Greek yogurt (you can do a ranch-style one that is better than regular ranch dressing) and see if that helps. Protein!

    As always, I love reading your blog. You always make me smile. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try your local farmer's market for some different options. The basics are what you listed but there are offshoots and hybrids that might work better. Strawberries grow great around here, so that's what I tend to stick to, but berries in general are very sweet and juicy enough to get down without worrying about thick skins.

    One of the things we started getting into are beets. If you get them fresh and cook them like potatoes (wrap in foil, cook for 45-60 mins at 425 degrees - time is depending on size), they're awesome. Sweet and soft without falling apart. Plus better than the heavier starch of potatoes.

    Get some ideas from the farmers. Many of them have things you can snack on while you're there, so you can get a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fruits, veggies and all things clean, however my band does not. It's a bit of problem. I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of foods that I used to love. I don't know the answer to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love raw veggies but after my last fill they don't love me. lettuce is the worst at getting stuck and it has made me a little sad. I can still do cooked vaggies though so I hope that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LIKE clean foods, but I have found that it just isn't realistic for me. I always have good intentions, but when I get busy, I need convenience. The problem arises if I don't buy the convenience healthy items (I just buy clean food) and then I need something quick...I make bad choices. Of course these are just excuses, but I know myself and what I'm willing to commit to. :)

    Now if I had a personal chef...I would totally be on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should eat more cleanly...sigh...had a donut for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with Beth Ann--it's just too difficult for me right now what with the inconvenience factor. I am going through a big, non-weight-loss endeavor at the moment and have (unfortunately) had to put all other things aside and focus on it. But, like Beth Ann said, I would totally be on the clean-eating wagon if I could afford a personal chef!!!

    Saying that, I like a lot of 'clean' foods. And if you find a way to make it work that is super convenient, please keep us posted because I would definitely give it a shot if it doesn't interfere with the rest of my goings on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to echo what others have said (so i've never been known for my originality). I absolutely love veggies and pre-band could tear up the produce department, but since being banded, veggies do not like me. I actually crave salads, but know that after about 2 bites I'll spend the next 30 minutes in the nearest bathroom praying to the band gods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may have to boycott Peanut butter... It's been making me it's Bitch lately. But eating clean sounds great... I was thinking, I do well on diets for well over a month before screwing up... What if I did a different diet each month until I start screwing up and then switch to a different diet instead of gaining back all the lost weight? That might work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been eating clean for a while now and its what helped jolt my recent plateau break. It is harder and it does take more time - but I also try to make a little more and store it in the small containers and eat it later in the week. Its do able! There is a magazine also, called "Clean Eating" that I like - has great recipes. You can eat a clean lunch by bringing your Dinner left overs. I'm not perfect by any means, but making the effort has changed up some of my choices and it is helping me. It forced me to not eat higher sodium and higher calorie foods b/c when I don't allow myself to eat processed foods, it forces me to cook healthier, lower calorie, higher nutrient foods. And most frozen veggies aren't processed! So that's sometimes a faster option.

    I think what may also help me is that my band isn't super tight - so I can eat salads, veggies, fruits, whole grain pastas, etc without trouble. I know this isn't the case for everyone so perhaps that's why its easier for me.

    ReplyDelete