Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Measurements

I did not take my measurements before surgery.  So for those of you just beginning any weight loss endeavour, I recommend it.  My first recorded measurements post surgery were on June 22nd, 2009 (5 months post op,  @ 254 pounds, and 73 pounds down.

So, June 22nd, 2009

Bust:  49
Waist: 41 (smallest part)
Hips: 53
Arms: 19.25 (6 inches above elbow)
Belly: 53 (2 inches below belly button)
Leg:  32

As of today, June 30, 2011

Bust:  38
Waist:  31.5
Hips:  41
Arms:  14
Belly:  40
Legs:  25

I am 5'4" tall, and weighed in today at 172.4.

I actually do not like taking my measurements.  They are more discouraging to me than the scale.  The scale I can blame on things like muscle vs fat, water weight, salt.

The measurements are the measurements.  For example, the last time I measured was Dec. 4, 2010.  So, nearly 7 months...my measurements havent changed.  EXCEPT, I have gained an inch in my arms and 2 inches in my belly.

mmmhmmm...whatchu think about that. 

I am actually glad for the gain in my arms, bc I can say with certainty...that's muscle.  The belly...I don't know.  I did read that muscle takes up more room than fat, but I dont think that two inches below my belly button as any more muscular now than in December.

But here is something.  Heather, miniature tone little Heather, let me take her measurements back in January.  She is almost 5'4, and 124 pounds.  In all of her measurements, with the exception of her belly, we are only about 2-3" different.  Her belly is about 9" smaller than mine.  But her waist is only 2 inches smaller.  Funny huh?  Funny because it tells you how different our shapes are.  She is more like a pencil, and I am more like an hourglass.  But also funny because I see her as so damn tiny.  And she is.  I have several pairs of shorts I wear at home that are Heathers.  Now, she does like to wear her shorts baggy and roomy, and I wear my clothes a little more fitting...but whenever she tells me "try my pink shorts on" I am always braced for them not fitting.

And I am always shocked when they do.

Are mine are whack sometimes.

TGIT!  One more day until Friday!

7 comments:

  1. Great job on your measurements! I did take my measurements before surgery and then do them monthly, it shocks me to see the difference either monthly or just in general. The scale can not move but I lose inches, I actually love measuring more than I do weighing in. Well sometimes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had surgery about 6 months ago and since I am starting to use the Realize My Success I needed to do them. I had no idea my gut got so big. You're right measurements are measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never ever took my measurements. I think I was too scared to know what they were. Why didn't you tell me back in 2009 to take them? Why, Amy?

    I heard that there was an interesting article in People mag about persons of the same height and weight who look completely different, but I can't find it anywhere. So basically, I got nothin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took my measurements the other day (last time being in April) and i've lost an inch in my thighs. This is a first. In all the efforts of the past 2 years, I've never lost inches, only scale weight. so i was pumped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. I'm always fascinated by the science of the numbers, even if it's never really clear what they mean in the long-run.

    I have this huge flap of skin that sticks out farther than my "waistline" which I have to assume is the line around my middle that dips in at my belly button. It's the most depressing part of my body, figuring out this measurement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never took measurements either... I should have, that's for sure. I will take them this week. Then I can see where the rest of this journey takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon your blog (wondering if anyone else had "boob pool" issues after weight loss :)). Thought you might be interested to know that I am 5'7", 154 pounds, dense bones...and have the exact same measurements as you. A great lesson in the wackness of numbers (also, how much I need to get my muscle gain on!).

    ReplyDelete