Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deep Thoughts By Amy Handy #2

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo,flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk. -From the real Jack Handy

I have been mulling over a couple of posts lately. The first one is from Tiffany http://rockingtheband.blogspot.com/ (I dont know how to do those hyperlinks where instead of posting the whole web address I could have just made Tiffany's name blue and you could have clicked on that instead...if anyone knows how to do this, please share).

Tiffany posted about a talk she had with her nutritionist, and to sum it up...her nutritionist told her to stop thinking about what the band ISN'T doing for her, and focus on what it IS doing for her. You should read it if you haven't. It's good advice. I am definitely guilty of thinking things like "I ate a piece of toast...I must need to be tighter", or "I didnt get sick when I ate that hamburger patty...I wonder if my band isn't working". OR, "I gained 2.5 pounds over the holiday weekend...why didn't my band help out"?

Instead, I need to think how the band totally limited my portions at meals. Meals where preband I would have eaten 5 times as much. The band isn't going to help me when I am munching on slider foods like chips, cookies, etc. I have to help myself. And it's okay if I can eat a piece of toast. I didnt eat 6 pieces did I?

I am trying to remember this when I a pissed at the scale or my band. Losing one or two pounds is better than gaining 4.

I've just got to keep things in prospective.

Another post that got me thinking is Mamawoods post on control. http://mamawood-bandedforlife.blogspot.com/

Have you ever thought that we ate out of control bc we could control it? This is an oxymoron of a thought, but it's like this. Those who suffer from anorexia or bulimia usually come from a place where they are striving for perfection, or feeling they can't control factors in their life...so they start to control their food intake. Eventually, the illness takes control over them. Could it be the same for us? Those of us who eat out of loneliness, boredom, anger, fear...we feel we can't control those things, but the one thing we can control is going and standing in front of the fridge and stuffing our face? Maybe not...just a thought.

Happy Thursday everyone! Yesterday at bootcamp...do you know what happened? My body finally remembered how to run. You know how I posted that I didnt know how to sprint anymore and that my body felt weird trying? I can do it now! In fact, another participant told me "You know you only sprint down, and are supposed to JOG back" (I was sprinting both ways). I knew. I just didnt care! It felt so good to run.

8 comments:

  1. I like these little analogies.. smart cookies these girls for getting it out there... Now we just need to pay attention and listen to ourselves lol. Thanks for the tips, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to be able to run, sprint, hell even jog. you go on with your bad self!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continued your deep thoughts on my blog, and posted instructions on how to hyperlink. *kiss*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Amy, Well said... Keep the deep thoughts comming. I Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're learning something from my blog :) I was super excited to post about that for that reason exactly. I knew someone would be able to take from that info.

    I am very excited to run someday.. simply because I think my body has forgotten how as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on the running!! That is awesome! And, I love it that you are so into your Boot Camp, too. :)

    Going back to your post, I definitely view my weight issue as a control one. I have wonderful parents who both are very focused on thin-ness (they are both thin). When I look back on photos of myself as a kid, I find that I look healthy and normal, but my parents were always putting me on diets and telling me that I was too heavy. It's clear to me that letting myself balloon to my ultimate highest weight was my own personal F-U response to that. Oh well. I'm an adult now and am done with that self-sabotage stuff.

    I'm just glad that I got myself banded and stopped that unhealthy trend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Binging is a form of control issue, (particularly when everything else in my life was so out of control (or so I thought). However, I realised a few years ago that in fact the bingeing was controlling my life, and not the other way round....and all the things in my life were still out of control...when I was seeing the obesity clinic I learnt that once I really controlled my eating (eating healthy and wise and losing weight) I started looking at things differently and those things in my life that were out of control, didn't look so bad anymore....but bad habits have taken over again (because I got out of a routine and gave up because it got "to hard") and I am back to square one....but I am on the right path again. Everyone has a vice, and mine is food!(unfortunately it is not something that you can live without!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this...I know Im a little late but this is just what I needed to read this morning.

    ReplyDelete