Thursday, May 28, 2015

My relationship with food: Dream World Scenerio

In a Dream World, my relationship with food would be somewhere in line with the 80/20 rule. If you aren't familiar with the concept you can google it or read a quick little article here, but ultimately the premise is...80% of the time you eat clean and healthy and 20% of the time you can have a little indulgence.  And since nothing is "off limits", you are less likely to go hog wild crazy when you do nibble (or sip) something less than clean and healthy.

It sounds pleasant enough.

I don't want to be a slave to the scale (although in my losing phase to get to my goal, I wouldn't have given that sucker up.  Weighing weekly helped me stay on track).  But in the maintenance phase of my life, I don't really want to have to worry about that number on a scale.

I don't want to track my calories.  Although this can be beneficial and educational, I know the calorie count (pretty close) of most food items.  And I kinda think that calorie counting can turn one unhealthy relationship with food (binging, overeating, NOT thinking of calories or nutrition) into another unhealthy relationship with food.  I want to feed my body things that I know are good for me, the majority of the time, and enjoy the "bad" foods when I do eat them.  There shouldn't be a vicious cycle of self-hate if I eat a Twinkie.  Even if I eat 2 Twinkies, wash it down with a Pepsi, and then eat a Snickers.  I'm okay.  You're okay.  We're okay.

I should say that I don't really have a vicious cycle of self-hate when I eat bad.  But I know those who do.  And I think the negative self-talk that I did have going on when I went cray-cray with my food choices was more tied to the number reflected on the scale.

I want to be able enjoy healthy food choices.  I want to choose to surround myself with snacks for my grazing that are natural and perhaps a titch more clean than my beloved cheetos and Pepsi.  But I don't want to say I am NEVER eating cheetos or drinking Pepsi again.

you dig?

So that's my dream world.  And maybe it can happen.

A girl's got to dream.

"Welcome to Hollywood!  What's your dream?" -Pretty Woman

You're welcome.

Oh.  One more thing before I go.  When I first started this blog, there were like...oh...4 of us blogging about the lapband.  I remember the days of constantly checking my blog feed for an update from someone...anyone.  And then, there were over a hundred of us...easy.  And reading and commenting on everyone's blogs was like working a full-time job.  Well now, there are only a few bloggers left...and sometimes that can make you feel like you are talking to yourself.

Well a fellow bandster (for now anyways) has changed the focus of her blog from lapband life to one focused on health and wellness...and so I wanted to give her a shout out if you are looking for new reading material.

Amanda's Blog

Happy Thursday Dudes.

5 comments:

  1. I remember back when reading all the blogs was a full time job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read your blog! You are not talking to thin air :) I don't always give you feedback, but when I do..... you get it.
    I also am in maintainance and it is easier for sure, but must remain focused to not slide back too bad.
    I love me some wine and tacos and gyros and etc. Just in a bit more moderation than the 260 pound days. I do follow the 80/20 rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about not wanting to worry about every bite that goes in my mouth. I dieted my way up to my weight because I gave up every time I had a slip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never miss reading your posts but it's ok if you do talk to yourself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for promoting my blog! I really appreciate it.

    I agree with you about the indulgence foods. If I want to eat something, I'm going to and I would like to enjoy it without guilt and self-punishment. I didn't log my food for a long time when I was losing, but I generally do in maintenance.

    ReplyDelete