My starting weight: 176.5
Ending weight: 159.5
Body percentage lost: 9.63
My partners starting weight: 174
Ending weight: 141
Difference: 33 pounds
Body percentage lost: 19.20
I will take it! It was tough. Atkins helped me lose 15 of those 17 pounds over the last 2 weeks and four days. I am sooo looking forward to maintaining again...to not being obsessed or crazy. To just being healthy and fit.
I thought I would do a little recap of my thoughts on Atkins for your guys.
- I was really on a sweet kick. Starting Atkins was a real eye-opener for me. It took less than a day for me to realize that practically everything I was putting in my mouth was sugar loaded. I was eating a lot of candy, drinking regular soda, and tons of other carbs.
- I have always thought that the idea of restricting carbs was a load of whooey. But it is interesting, after the first 4 days off of sugar and carbs, how I do crave them less.
- Seeing how 98% of the things I enjoy do have carbs, I have found some new products and alternatives out there to high carb or high sugar options...ones that I will continue to buy and eat regardless of whether or not I am doing Atkins.
- The idea of how we burn fat based on what we are eating is very cool train of thought. I would like to continue to explore this topic.
- I have realized I do not need or require the immense amount of carbs and sugar-shit I was eating. I just don't.
- It helped me lose some weight! Whether or not it was really because of ketosis, or just because it was a change to my normal routine...it definitely helped me shed over 10 ell-bees!
- It was fun and a crazy feeling relief not to have to add my calories up in my head all.day.long.
- I went and gave blood last week and they get your cholesterol read. Remember that I have been trying for over a year to find my genetics and bring my number (usually around 213 and my doctor wants it under 200) down. Last month at my doctor visit, it was 197! Last week, not even two weeks into Atkins...it was 237. The highest it has ever been. Even higher than presurgery.
- Lack of energy. Atkins says that by week 2, you should have more energy. Not so much for me.
- The social aspect of Atkins blows. Its hard to low-carb/no -carb around others without making them aware of it.
- It's expensive! Even if I didnt by the bars...bacon, meat, eggs...aint none of that cheap my friends!
- Less poop action. You know I love a good movement.
- While I never got full fledged ketosis breath, I had dry mouth a lot and just a weird taste in my mouth.
Where do I go from here?
- I intend to continue to be aware of my carbs. I will not move on to the official stage 2 of Atkins (called OWL), which allows you 5 more carbs a day (for a total of 25)....although I will try on most days to stay around that goal.
- I want to limit my beer drinking. I don't actual enjoy beer. It doesnt satisfy any thirst. If I am going to drink calories, I would rather drink a nice cold pepsi.
- When I do have breads and pastas, I will have 100% whole wheat. But that it nothing new.
- The occasional candy bar is not the end of the world....but it adds no value to my nutrition.
- And while I joke about oreo's and ice cream, what I want even more than that is some cereal/granola! Man...I am going to eat a little of that this weekend.
- I am nervous that when I do eat some sugar, I will go crazy. I am interested to see if I can feel a physical or mental urge to consume more non-stop.
- For the challenge at work, I have upped my working out. I remember when I used to work out 3 days a week. And then it became 5 days a week. Now it is 5 days a week, and sometimes it is 2 times a day. It is very easy to slip into crazy...regardless of what it is. And while I hate to say it, I think my body is a little tired. I don't want to run myself into the ground. SO, I may cut back....maybe....:)
- Yes. At least to jump start a stall, or to get some sugar out of your system. If you do decide to do it, would recommend following the guidelines to the letter. You don't need the book. Atkins official website has all the phases, foods, etc. you will need.
- We all have to find what works for us. This helped me for sure.
- I am actually super afraid of eating "bad" sugar again. I am afraid there will be some chemical reaction in my brain and I will go nuts.
- It's crazy to say it...but my band didn't have much to do with this weight loss. And from here on out, with my level of restriction...my band won't really have much to do with whether I lose more or not. That will be solely up to me. What my band WILL do is keep me in check and prevent me from pigging out and gaining all my weight back.